Consultation-liaison psychiatrists are boarded subspecialists who have advanced training and experience in evaluating and treating patients in an interdisciplinary setting. We are very comfortable helping patients with complex medical problems that may exacerbate, or be exacerbated by, psychiatric symptoms. We provide consultation to the medical and surgical inpatient services at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Prentice Women's Hospital and Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. The division also provides co-located care in other medical specialties and has a large collaborative care program in primary care.
In addition to providing evaluation and recommendations for patients with a wide variety of psychiatric illnesses, our faculty includes individuals with special expertise in the areas of neuropsychiatry, collaborative care, addiction treatment, catatonia, HIV, organ transplantation, medical ethics and forensic psychiatry.
The department offers a 12-month, ACGME-accredited fellowship training program in our field. Visit the Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Fellowship page to learn more.
Ongoing research projects within the division include:
- Implementation of the Northwestern Medicine Collaborative Behavioral Health Program
- Alcohol withdrawal protocol at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Collaboration with the HIV and Viral Hepatitis Co-infection Program at Northwestern Medicine
- Protocols for agitation in the Northwestern Medicine Medical Intensive Care Unit
- Psychiatric comorbidities in frostbite presentations
- Decision-making capacity evaluation contexts
- Northwestern Medicine hospital clinical quality programs and committees
The Division of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry strives to address morbidity and mortality with integrated programming across health system settings. Our faculty members collaborate with many colleagues outside of Psychiatry to provide comprehensive biopsychosocial diagnosis and treatment recommendations in multiple medical settings, including inpatient and outpatient medical, surgical, and obstetrical areas. Our other affiliated Northwestern Medicine clinical programs include:
- Consultation service at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- The Collaborative Behavioral Health Program
- Transplant psychiatry
- HIV psychiatry
- Rehabilitation psychiatry at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab
- The Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program
- The Transitional Care Clinic
If you're seeking services, please visit our Patient Care page.