The Division of Geriatric Psychiatry offers an ACGME-accredited program in geriatric psychiatry. Graduates of the 12-month program satisfy all requirements and are eligible to take the ABPN subspecialty certification examination.
An optional second fellowship year is available for the candidate seeking additional training as a clinician-researcher.
Our program produces specialists in the delivery of skilled and comprehensive psychiatric medical care of older adults suffering from psychiatric and neuropsychiatric disorders. Our clinical programs emphasize expert diagnosis, early intervention, continuity of care, and access to new therapies and clinical research protocols.
Applications for the academic year 2019-2020 are currently being accepted. Please email Sandra Downey for information.
Geriatric residents participate in supervised, collaborative, interdisciplinary clinical and didactic experiences which provide training in the:
- Development of diagnostic and assessment skills
- Application of biopsychosocial concepts
- Experience and knowledge of illness, prevention strategies and a wide range of treatment modalities including neuromodulation
- Treatment of a culturally diverse population of older adults with a wide range of psychopathology in a broad range of clinical settings
- Psychological and social aspects of gerontology, including normal aging and the pathology of primary psychiatric disturbances beginning in or continuing into older age
- Psychiatric impact of acute and chronic physical illnesses
- Recognition of and negotiation of legal and ethical issues
- Evidence-based clinical decision-making
- Educational leadership
The residency offers clinical rotations in the following settings:
- Inpatient geropsychiatry at the Stone Institute of Psychiatry
- Outpatient geriatric psychiatry specialty clinic
- Diagnostic evaluations
- Pharmacological management
- Individual and family psychotherapy
- The Cognitive Neurology and Alzheimer’s Disease Core Center funded by the National Institute on Aging, and the Illinois Department of Public Health
- The Division of Geriatric Medicine
- Palliative care
- Consultation Liaison at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Shirley Ryan AbilityLab (formerly RIC)
- Behavioral Neurology
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)
Michael J. Schrift, DO, MA
Director, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry
Contact Fellowship Program Coordinator Sandra Downey for more information about the Geriatric Psychiatry fellowship.
Meet the Faculty
Danielle Anderson, MD
Amy Corcoran, MD
Stephen Dinwiddie, MD
Mehmet Dokucu, MD, PhD
Morris Goldman, MD
Robert B. Lloyd Jr, MD, PhD
Lisa Rosenthal, MD
Housestaff Research Portal
Feinberg has the infrastructure and resources to assist McGaw trainees interested in conducting scientific research. Visit our Housestaff Research Portal to learn more.